Sign up for Canada Post epostTM to receive your Water Utility Bill online. www.canadapost.ca.
Click pdf here (313 KB) for instructions.
- Water rates are determined by the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board. The Town of Truro’s Water Utility must follow the rules and regulations set out by the Board. The most recent Schedule of Rates and Regulations is below:
Base Charge (unmetered)
Base Charge (metered)
Consumption Rates (Per Cubic Meter)
|0 to 1250 c.m.||$0.98|
|over 1250 c.m.||$0.58|
Rates For Sprinkler Service
Every building having a sprinkler system installed shall pay annually for the service as follows:
|Each building serviced by a sprinkler service pipe of 6" or less in diameter:||$250.00|
|Each building serviced by a sprinkler service pipe of 8" or more in diameter:||$300.00|
Charges For Re-establishing Water Service
When water service has been suspended for any violation of the Rules and Regulations of the Utility, such water service shall not be re-established until a reconnection charge of $50.00 has been paid to the Utility. If reconnection is outside of regular working hours, the charge is $200.00.
The Utility shall charge a $50.00 fee for the creation of a water account, notwithstanding the fact that no physical disconnection of the system may have occurred.
Whenever a customer requests that the water be turned off from any premises, a charge of $50.00 shall be made for turning off the water, and no additional charge shall be made for turning it on again when this is requested unless such request is after regular working hours of the Utility when a fee of $200.00 shall apply.
When are Water Bills Due?
Water bills are issued quarterly. They are due thirty (30) days from the Invoice Date shown on the Water Utility Invoice. Payments not made within 30 days from the date rendered will accrue interest at a rate of 1.25% per month on the outstanding balance.
The Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board has given the Town of Truro Water Utility the authority to suspend service to customers whose bills remain unpaid for more than forty (40) days after the billing date. A reconnection charge of $50.00 must be paid before service will be resumed.
The sewer rate is based on your quarterly water consumption.
The rates are:
|Under 1250 cm||$0.80|
|Over 1250 cm||$0.17|
Is the Sewer rate a Tax Rate or a Water Rate?
The sewer rate is a fee for using the Town's sewer and wasterwater systems. The fee is used to offset the increased costs of treating sewage and wastewater as per federal regulations. Sewer Rates are a lien on your property, which means if your sewer rates are not paid the Town can collect overdue amounts in the same way taxes are collected; this includes putting a property up for sale.
How to pay your water bill
- You can pay in person at the town hall located at 695 Prince Street, Truro. Office hours are 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. For your convenience, the Town of Truro has a number of options for paying water bills. You may pay in person at the Town Hall with cash, cheque, money order or debit. Sorry, we cannot accept credit cards at Town Hall.
- You may leave payment in the secure drop box located at the ramp entrance ( side door).
- Online credit card payment is now available through Plastiq. Use the links below to visit Plastiq.com and follow these simple steps:
- Make an Online Credit Card Payment for your Taxes and Water: Plastiq - Town of Truro
- Use your bank's internet or telephone banking system to pay bills online (these methods are set-up by you at your financial institution. If you are unfamiliar with on-line or telephone banking, please contact your financial institution). You will need your eight digit assessment account number for property tax and/or your eight digit water utility account number.