Programs and Events
The following Programs and Events are hosted annually by the Town of Truro Parks, Recreation and Culture Department:
- Spring Programs
- Summer Programs
- Fall Programs
- Winter Programs
- Equipment Loans Program
- King St Community Gardens
- Art Acquisition Program
- Winter Long John Festival
- Easter Egg Hunt
- Volunteer Awards
- Canada Parks Day Celebration
- Movie Nights in Victoria Park
- Sunday in the Park Concert Series
- EMBRACE Truro Festival
- New Year's Eve on the Town
More program info coming soon, keep checking back!
Games, crafts, songs, and special themes will give your preschooler lots of adventures in our 1/2 camps. Our well-trained leaders organize imaginative and interesting activities where learning and socialization are enhanced.
Drop off: 8:30am, Pick up: 12:00pm
Location: Douglas Street Recreation Centre
What to Bring…
- We will be spending most of our time outdoors so please be sure to dress your child appropriately, and with sunscreen applied. Send along a change of clothing, and some sun screen, just in case.
- Please be sure to pack snacks and plenty of beverages for your child to get through the morning. Also, clearly display your child’s name on the outside of their lunch container. Please help us keep camps “PEANUT FREE”.
Week 1 – Blast off to Summer – July 11-15
Week 2 – Nature Nuts – July 18-22
Week 3 – Water Week - July 25-29
Week 4 – Colour Explosion - Aug 2-5 (no class on Natal Day)
Week 5 – Jurassic Journey – Aug 8-12
Week 6 - Superheroes – Aug 15-19
If you are looking to register for individuals days (not the full week), please complete the online registration form, click pay later, and then email Brooklyn () to let her know which days of the week you would like to attend.
Summer Sportball - Soccer & T-Ball
Eight weeks, two sports, all in one location! Get a kick out of Sportball Outdoor Soccer & T-Ball outdoor programs! Children are introduced to fundamental concepts of gameplay and provided the basic skills required to score with confidence in a supportive, non-competitive environment. The first half of the program zeroes in on soccer skills including: throw-ins, dribbling, trapping, passing, goalie skills and more. The second half of the program helps children develop T-ball skills such as throwing, catching, correct batting form, running bases, fielding and positional play. Trained, certified Sportball Coaches apply their dedicated instruction in fun, exciting, skills-focused games.
Price includes a soccer ball, jersey and socks. A date and location will be provided to attend an advance pick up date for all required equipment. A t-ball glove is not provided but is required. Parents are required to participate with children throughout the program. Please bring a water bottle, sunscreen, bug repellent and suitable outdoor athletic attire. Additional spectators are permitted.
- This is an outdoor program which will run rain or shine, please be prepared for changing weather. If there are extreme weather events which require a program cancellation or delay, please monitor our social media feeds for details and location specific information about your program.
- For children’s safety, parents are required to remain on the field or park at all times.
- Price includes a soccer ball, jersey and socks. A date and location will be provided to attend an advance pick up date for all required equipment.
- A t-ball glove is not provided but is required.
- Please bring a water bottle, sunscreen, bug repellent and suitable outdoor athletic attire.
- Additional spectators are permitted.
- Sundays: Class dates: July 3, 10, 17, 24, Aug 7, 14, 21, 28. -- No class July 31st.
Location: Victoria Park Baseball Field
2-3 yrs: 3:15pm - 4:00pm
3-4 yrs: 4:15pm - 5:15pm
5-7 yrs: 5:30pm - 6:30pm
8-11 yrs: 6:45pm - 7:45pm
- Thursdays: Class dates: July 7, 14, 21, 28, Aug 11, 18, 25, Sep 1. -- No class Aug 4th.
Location: Field behind Douglas St Rec.
2-3yrs: 4:00pm – 4:45pm
3-4yrs: 5:00pm – 6:00pm
5-7yrs: 6:15pm – 7:15pm
8-11yrs: 7:30pm – 8:30pm
Drop-in pickleball programs that allow for unstructured scrimmage play.
Location: Colchester Legion Stadium
Dates: Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 12:00-2:00pm
Fee: No cost to participate
Notes: No-pre-registration required. No instruction provided. We do have some equipment on hand, but players can bring their own. Please enter through the side door.
Drop in Camps
We are back for another summer filled with entertaining Drop-In Camps for school age children. We supply the gear, you supply the kids for an afternoon filled with fun activities! We are bringing back parent-free, child-led outdoor activities, we hire staff that bring supervised, unstructured play to various locations around town. Parents can be fearful of allowing their children to go play unsupervised; we want to alleviate that concern by having staff on site to supervise. Staff show up with a bunch of equipment and the children lead the way! No pre-registration required. Don't forget your water, snacks, and sunscreen!
Contact for more information. Keep an eye on our Facebook and Instagram pages.
Tentative July Schedule:
- Jul 11th (Mon) - 1:30-4:00pm at Stan "Chook" Maxwell Park
- July 13th (Wed) - 1:30-4:00pm at CEC Cages
- Jul 15th (Fri) - 1:30-4:00pm at Victoria Park
- Jul 18th (Mon) - 1:30-4:00pm at Stan "Chook" Maxwell Park
- Jul 20th (Wed) - 1:30-4:00pm at Victoria Park
- Jul 22nd (Fri) - 1:30-4:00pm at Victoria Park
- Jul 25th (Mon) - 1:30-4:00pm at Stan "Chook" Maxwell Park
- Jul 27th (Wed) - 1:30-4:00pm at CEC Cages
- Jul 29th (Fri) - 1:30-4:00pm at Victoria Park
- Aug 8th (Mon) - 1:30-4:00pm at Stan "Chook" Maxwell Park
- Aug 10th (Wed) - 1:30-4:00pm at Victoria Park
- Aug 15th (Mon) - 1:30-4:00pm at Stan "Chook" Maxwell Park
- Aug 17th (Wed) - 1:30-4:00pm at Victoria Park
Pop Up Events
- Jul 12th (Tue) - 1:30-4:00pm Soccer Baseball meet at Victoria Park Ballfield
- July 14th (Thu) - 1:30-4:00pm Ball Hockey at Colchester Legion Stadium
- Jul 19th (Tue) - 1:30-4:00pm Soccer Baseball meet at Victoria Park Ballfield
- Jul 21st (Thu) - 1:30-4:00pm Ball Hockey & Pickleball meet at Colchester Legion Stadium
- Jul 23rd (Sat) - 9:00am-1200pm Yard Games meet at Civic Square
- Jul 23rd (Sat) - 6:00pm Intermediate level resevoir hike (7.5km) meet at Wood St Parking lot
- Jul 26th (Tue) - 1:30-3:00 Yoga with Jeff MacKinnon meet at Victoria Park Bandshell
- Jul 28th (Thu) - 1:30-4:00pm Ball Hockey meet at Colchester Legion Stadium
- Jul 30th (Thu) - 9:00-11:00am Chair Yoga with Micky Rigby meet at Victoria Park Bandshell
- Aug 9th (Tue) - 6:00-7:00pm Zumba with Tammy Hovey meet at Victoria Park Bandshell
- Aug 11th (Thu) - 1:30-4:00pm Ball hockey and pickleball at the Colchester Legion Stadium
- Aug 11th (Thu) - 6:30-8:00pm Lawn bowling at the Douglas Street Recreation Centre. Pre-register by emailing
- Aug 13th (Sat) - 6:30-10:00pm Victoria Park Pool Splash Bash
- Aug 16th (Tue) - 6:00-7:00pm Pound with Tammy Hovey meet at Victoria Park Bandshell
- Aug 18th (Thu) - 1:30-4:00pm Field day at the TAAC Grounds. Ages 5 and up. Pre-register by emailing
- August 24th (Wed) - 10:00am Summer Send-Off 3v3 Basketball Tournament at Stan "Chook" Maxwell Park. Ages 12 and up.$5.00/team. Pre-register by emailing
Summer Kickoff Activity Guide
The Truro Parks, Recreation and Culture Department has created this activity guide that will help you kickoff Summer by getting outside, being active and celebrating.
Check back in fall 2022.
Check back in winter 2022/23.
1 Church St, Truro, NS B2N 3Z5
Canadian Tire Jumpstart
*Classic Cross Country Skis: We have skis, boots, and poles that will fit adults as well as children as small as 60lbs.
*Skate Skis: We have a very limited quantity of skis and boots.
*Snowshoes: We have a limited quantity ranging from children's to adult size.
* Pick up/Return
- Pickup Thursday's between 9:30am-4:00 pm, Return Monday's between 9:30am-4:00pm
- Pickup Friday's between 9:30am-4:00 pm, Return Tuesday's between 9:30am-4:00pm
- Sledges: We have sizes ranging from children's to adult.
- Snowcoaches: One size fits most.
- Skates: We have sizes ranging from children's to adult, available to be borrowed from the Colchester-East Hants Public Library.
- Washer Toss, Bocce Ball, Yard Jenga, Giant Lawn Checkers, Giant Lawn Chess, Parachute, Small Pylons, Flag Rugby, Ladder Ball, Giant Badminton Racquets, Regular Badminton Racquets, Flying Ring Golf.
Adaptive Recreation Equipment
- Hippocampe (child and adult), Duet-Cycle, Sledges, Snowcoaches, Tomato Seats, Skate Helper Skate Aids (available while using Colchester Legion Stadium)
The Town of Truro launched its Art Acquisition Program in 2006 in an effort to create and maintain a collection of visual art which reflects the unique historic and artistic development of Truro. Visual artists - be they painters, sculptors, carvers, potters, rug hookers, quilters, photographers and others - are invited to submit an application to display their works to the public at a gallery showing in April each year. One artist will have his or her work selected to be added to the town’s permanent art collection.
2007: "Victoria Park" by Deanna A. Boucher
2008: "Can't You Hear the Whistle Blow" by Lorinda Antonello Regan
2009: “Spring Garden” by Holly Lennox
2010: “Willena Beatrice Jones” by Janice Guinan 2011: “View Toward Onslow” by Richard Wenzel
2012: “The First Obstacle” by Jo-Ann Shaw
2013: “Winter Light” by Pamela Swainson
2014: “Old Truro Train Station (circa 1928)” by Diane Redden
2015: “Call to Duty” by Janice Stewart and "Mister Stanfield" by Anna Fullerton
2016: “Dusk on Esplanade” by Ron Hazell
2017: “Moon over Marsh” by Christene Sandeson and “A Canada Story” by Alison Fielding
2018: "First United Church" by Jen Power
2019: "Come Together" by Rob MacCormack and Pamela Sutherland
2020: Art Acquisition Cancelled
2021: Art Acquisition Cancelled
2022: “Victoria St Beauties” by Sheila Newell & “Checking It Out” by Keith Cheyne
Hundreds of excited children converge on Victoria Park each year to participate in the annual Easter Egg Hunt, hosted by Truro Parks, Recreation and Culture.
Do you know someone who loves to volunteer? Did you know that the Town and the County partner to celebrate the volunteers in our community. All volunteers and their nominators are invited to attend our ceremony.
To nominate someone, please complete the nomination form and submit it to the Town of Truro or the County of Colchester. The individual's/ groups volunteer commitment can be in any field, i.e. hospital service, schools, library board, coach, recreation, service clubs, etc.
The Skyler Blackie Fit to Be a Hero Challenge
Stay tuned for more information on the 2022 race.
The Skyler Blackie Fit to Be a Hero Challenge is a chip timed 5 kilometre adventure race with challenging obstacles (stairs, wall, tires, hill, and lots more). The challenge took place in picturesque Victoria Park. This race incorporates the historic landscape of the Park, including Jacob's Ladder. For more info, click here.
In honour of Canada Parks Day and having such a beautiful park in the heart of town, Truro Parks Recreation and Culture hosts a Canada Parks Day Celebration each year in Victoria Park. On the 3rd Saturday of July each year. Stay tuned for more information.
Join us at Victoria Park on July 16th, 2022!
- 1:00pm-2:00pm Victoria Park Challenge Kids Run! Pre-registration is required (see below).
If using a phone you have to turn it sideways to see the "Book Now" option.
- 2:00pm-4:00pm Live music by Gordon Tucker.
- 2:00pm-5:00pm Balloon Animals, Airbrush Tattoos, Bouncy Houses & Yard Games.
Each summer, Truro Parks Recreation and Culture hosts mid-summer Movie Nights in Victoria Park. A popular attraction for locals and tourists alike, the movies are shown on a 20 foot screen at the park's J. Arch Fraser bandshell. Hundreds of people gather each year to take in classic, new and family friendly movies, while enjoying fresh summer air. Movies start at dusk approx. 9:00pm, bring your own chair. Rain location: Douglas St. Recreation Centre.
The 2022 schedule for Movie Nights in Victoria Park is as follows:
- August 12th, 2022
- August 19th, 2022
- August 26th, 2022
For ten years, hundreds of people have gathered at the J. Arch Fraser bandshell to enjoy the Sunday in the Park Concert Series, presented by Truro Parks, Recreation and Culture. Each Sunday from July until Labour Day weekend in September, people of all ages enjoy live entertainment from 2:00 - 4:00 pm. There are special concerts scheduled for Labour Day weekend each summer as well.
Summer 2022 Schedule
- July 3, 2022 2:00pm - 4:00pm Alycia Putnam and Family
- July 10, 2022 2:00pm - 3:00pm Flip Side
- July 10, 2022 3:00pm - 4:00pm Jeanie Fraser
- July 16, 2022 2:00pm - 4:00pm Gordon Tucker
- July 17, 2022 2:00pm - 4:00pm Island Boys
- July 24, 2022 2:00pm - 4:00pm Julie Johnstone
- July 31, 2022 2:00pm - 4:00pm Sweet Revenge
- August 7, 2022 2:00pm - 3:00pm Pamela and Raymond Gray
- August 7, 2022 3:00pm - 4:00pm Jackie Putnam
- August 14, 2022 2:00pm - 4:00pm Paul Randy Mingo
- August 21, 2022 2:00pm - 4:00pm Gordon Tucker
- August 28, 2022 2:00pm - 4:00pm The Vault Conspiracy
- September 4th, 2022 2:00pm - 3:00pm Kevin Atkinson
- September 4th, 2022 3:00pm - 4:00pm Going Forward
- September 5th, 2022 1:00pm - 2:00pm Timeless
- September 5th, 2022 2:00pm - 4:00pm Seeing Double
EMBRACE Truro Festival
EMBRACE Truro - a celebration of Truro's diversity and culture - is a free morning of entertainment and family-friendly activities that takes place each year in Civic Square. EMBRACE, which stands for ‘Everyone Makes a Better, Respectful, Accepting, Creative Environment’, features live performances, demonstrations and activities for the whole family and is sponsored by the Town of Truro’s Diversity Advisory Committee.
The 2022 EMBRACE Truro Festival will be taking place on September 24, 2022!
The Town of Truro department of Parks, Recreation and Culture hosts an annual New Year's Eve celebration: New Year's Eve on the Town! With family friendly events scheduled at Douglas Street Recreation Centre in the afternoon, followed by an evening skate and live entertainment at the Colchester Legion Stadium, there is something for everyone as Truro rings in the new year each year. The Town of Truro also hosts a New Year’s Day Levee each year in Council Chambers. All events are free of charge and family friendly.
40 Douglas Street
Truro, Nova Scotia
Canada B2N 2E7
Tel: (902) 893-6078
Fax: (902) 893-6099