The Town of Truro administers the pdf Taxi Bylaw (211 KB) within the Town.
To drive a taxi or to operate a taxi business within the Town of Truro, you must first apply to the Town of Truro and meet the requirements set out in the Taxi Bylaw.
To obtain a Taxi Driver’s License:
- You must first fill out a copy of the Taxi Drive Application Form and provide a copy of your valid Class 1 through 4 Nova Scotia Driver’s License. The application form is linked below. A copy can also be obtained at Truro Town Hall, contact information is below. A fee of $25.00 is also payable at the time of the application.
- You must first apply for a Criminal Records/Vulnerable Sector Check. This ensures that the applicant has no disqualifying convictions that would prevent them from obtaining a license. The Criminal Records Check application form can be obtained at Town Hall for a fee of $25.00. This package is to be completed at the Truro Police Service.
- Once the Criminal Records/Vulnerable Sector is approved, you must make an appointment with the Taxi Administrator and complete a written exam. A pass mark of 65% is required. The Taxi Administrator can be contacted through:
Planning and Development Department,
Truro Town Hall
695 Prince Street, Truro
or by calling: 902-895-1148.
pdf Taxi Driver Application Form (88 KB)
How to apply for a Taxi Owner License
To apply for a Taxi Owner License, you must meet the requirements of the Town of Truro Taxi Bylaw# B1031200. An appointment can be arranged for your "Vehicle for Hire Inspection" by contacting the Taxi Administrator at 902-895-1148.
To obtain a Taxi Owner License, please complete the following application form and provide the following documents:
- Taxi Owner Application Form
- A clear photocopy of your Insurance Certificate
- Copy of Motor Vehicle Registration Permit (The original document must be in the vehicle at the time of inspection)
- Copy of Motor Vehicle Inspection (All inspections are required by MacKenzie’s Ultramar Auto Repair located at 1072 Prince Street, Truro. This inspection is to be completed within 30 days of submitting the application)
- Meter Calibration Slip (Must be dated and signed and current within 30 days)
- Taxi Owner License Fee $25.00