Sign up for Canada Post epostTM to receive your Property Tax Bill online. www.canadapost.ca.
Click pdf here (313 KB) for instructions.
- Municipal Council determines the property tax rate each year during the annual budget approval process.
- The Property Tax rate is as per $100 of property assessment.
Municipal Tax Rates are as follows
|Year||Residential & Resource||Commercial|
Who receives a property tax bill?
Anyone who owns property in the Town of Truro receives a property tax bill. This includes land (resource), commercial property and residential property.
How is your property tax bill calculated?
Property Taxes are calculated by multiplying the property assessment value by the municipal property tax rate and dividing by 100. Property assessment value is determined by Property Valuation Services Corporation.
When is my Property Tax bill due?
The Town of Truro mails property tax bills twice a year, the first bill due in early July and the final bill due in early November. Exact due dates are set each year during the budget approval process.
Property Tax Sale
As per the Nova Scotia Municipal Government Act, the legislation that governs municipalities, tax sale proceedings may begin if property taxes are outstanding more than one year. Interest accrues on your property tax account at a rate of 15% per annum. Payment arrangements can be made by contacting the finance department at 902-895-8011.
How do I appeal my property taxes?
Properties are assessed by Property Valuation Services Corporation . Please contact this organization to find out how to appeal your properties assessment.
Do I have to pay my tax bill even if I am appealing my assessment?
Your property tax bill must be paid even when an assessment appeal has been filed. Interest will accrue at 15% per annum if payment is not received. Any overpayment as a result of an appeal decision will be refunded once notification has been received by the Town of Truro from Property Valuation Services Corporation.
How to pay your property tax bill
You can pay in person at the town hall located at 695 Prince Street, Truro. Office hours are 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. For your convenience, the Town of Truro has a number of options for paying tax and water bills. You may pay in person at the Town Hall with cash, cheque, money order or debit. Sorry, we cannot accept credit cards at Town Hall.
- You may leave payment in the secure drop box located at the ramp entrance ( side door)
- Online credit card payment is now available through Plastiq. Use the links below to visit Plastiq.com and follow these simple steps:
- Make an Online Credit Card Payment for your Taxes and Water: Plastiq - Town of Truro
- Use your bank's internet or telephone banking system to pay bills online (these methods are set-up by you at your financial institution. If you are unfamiliar with on-line or telephone banking, please contact your financial institution). You will need your eight digit assessment account number for property tax and/or your eight digit water utility account number.
- Royal Bank Financial Group
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
- Toronto Dominion Bank
- Bank of Montreal
Do you need to grant access to your tax and/or water account?
- Please contact the Finance Department at 895-8011.